My Hope is in Christ

"With rebukes You correct man for iniquity..." - Psalm 39:11. In the twelfth chapter of Hebrews, the writer tells us that God chastens those whom He loves (Hebrews 12:5-7). Consider the Psalm of David in the thirty ninth chapter. Although we cannot determine the circumstances revolving around his suffering, David clearly acknowledges that he has sinned against God, and how it was his sin that caused the suffering.  All through the Old Testament, we learn from the lives of the children of Israel of how calamity often came as a direct result of their unfaithfulness toward God and disobedience to His commands. Such is often the case for followers of Jesus Christ. Even so, there is hope and this hope is only found in Jesus Christ.

 "And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You." - Psalm 39:7. Rather than point the finger at God, David declares that his hope in Him. As the king of Israel boldly came before His throne of grace so too should every Christ follower who sins with a heart that cries, "Deliver me from all my transgressions: Do not make me the reproach of the foolish." (Psalm 39:8). Dear reader, turn your eyes upon Jesus and recall to mind the precious truths recorded in 1 John 1:5-9:

"...God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.  If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light,we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" 
  
 "LORD, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am" - Psalm 39:4. In the midst of suffering and sorrow resulting from sin, David also recognizes something that all too often we forget  - how frail and fleeting life really is. Dearly beloved in Christ, when we come to the place of understanding that apart from the grace of God "every man at his best is but vapor" (v.5), then we may begin to understand how "sweet the sound" is that amazing grace, "that saved a wretch like me".

My hope, O Sovereign Lord, is in You.

Comments

Popular Posts