The Great Rescuer



My earliest memory is sinking in water. I don’t remember how I fell into the water, but I do recall seeing a black hole as I sank (and thinking that I was going to descend into the hole). According to my parents, I had crawled into the water while curiously inching too close to the edge of a pool that is still located in downtown Calgary. Thankfully, my dad quickly rescued me by pulling me up out of the water. That black hole, as it turned out, was a drain at the bottom of the pool.

 
When I sank in that pool as an infant, I was utterly helpless. I was at the mercy of my father’s saving action as I was incapable of saving myself. My earliest memory reminds me of the great Rescuer and Saviour, Jesus Christ. The Bible teaches that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). Apart from Jesus, and what He accomplished on the cross, we are utterly helpless and incapable of saving ourselves. The good news is that Jesus took on human flesh, died the death that we deserved, and was raised on the third day so that He could rescue us, free us from the grip of sin, give us a new heart, and grant us eternal life. Oh, ‘who can fathom the depths of God’s love and a mercy so free?’
 
You may be wrestling with anxiety and uncertainty. Dear friend, if this is you, in light of who Jesus is and His saving grace, put your faith in the great Rescuer and risen Saviour. For He is our only hope, certainty and guarantee in life and death. As you trust in Him, you can take heart and have “strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.”

 
Song: “Christ Our Hope in Life and Death” by Keith and Kristyn Getty, Matt Papa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OibIi1rz7mw

Comments

Popular Posts