From Fear to Assurance

When I was growing up, I believed that my good deeds and works would earn my way into heaven and God’s good favour. Even so, there was always a deep nagging fear within that the good that I had done would never be enough if I were to come face-to-face with death. In other words, I didn’t have any real assurance of God’s salvation within. 

This fear especially hit home while flying home from Japan 2001. Midway across the Pacific Ocean, the plane hit a rough patch of turbulence in what seemed to last for hours. As the plane vigorously shook from side to side and bounced up and down, I became convinced that the plane would not reach its destination. Though I was not a Christian at that time, all I felt I could do was pray to God for His mercy. Thankfully, the plane safely touched down at Vancouver International Airport! 

People may argue that my fear was unwarranted. Airplanes are built to withstand heavy turbulence. This is true, however, my fear about how the good that I had done would never be enough to earn my way into heaven was warranted (as I would discover later in life). 

Our assurance of eternal life with God is not based on the sum total of our good deeds and charitable works. Our assurance of eternal life is solely based on Jesus’ death on the cross and resurrection from the grave. When Jesus died and rose again, both sin and death were conquered. If our good works and charitable deeds were enough, then the sinless Saviour would not have had to die for our sins. 

When you put your faith and trust in Jesus, you have assurance of eternal life. Having being grounded by saving inward faith in Jesus, comes a life of gratitude and obedience outwardly displayed in good works and charitable deeds – all for the glory of God.

Comments

Popular Posts